Children look up to other people so be an example!
- Children read more when they see other people read, especially adults
Talk About Books Around Children!
- Books are great conversation starters!
- Talk about books during dinner, car rides, with friends and family
Give Children a Choice
- Children like the idea of having a choice rather than being forced to do something so allow children to pick out their own book
- Guide them to the right reading levels or give them three to four choices at a time to make sure the books are appropriate
- Allow them to show their expertise
Create a Safe Reading Space
- Make a child want to sit and relax and read a book
- Decorate a corner with bean bags or pillows
- Celebrate children's reading accomplishments because they will gain self-confidence about their reading confidence and will want to read more
Demonstrate the Value of Books
- Emphasize how books are important
- Ask "How is this going to help me"
- Show how reading is important to the real world
- Show important authors and their impact